There are no loss than 30 different types of beds available on the market today. In this case, when we say beds, we are referring to bedroom furniture used to support a mattress. According to Wikipedia, here are a few of the most common types of bedroom furniture available and some practical uses for these beds.
- Adjustable Bed A bed which can have one or more of its sections adjusted to different positions to enhance comfort.
- Platform Bed A bed which uses a solid base to support a mattress. This base can be incorporated into a structure, such as a window bed or a bed built into a nook.
- Futon A Futon is a traditional Japanese bed which has been adopted for western use. A futon typically consists of a slat frame which is hinged, allowing the bed to be adjusted into a couch.
- Murphy Bed (Wall Bed) A Murphy Bed is a design where the entire bed folds into a wall or piece of furniture to increase the usable space of a room. Murphy Beds are found in small apartments or small bedrooms.
- Trundle Bed A Trundle Bed is a spare bed, usually on a frame which stores below a twin bed. This can be called a sleepover bed and is more common in young girls' decor.
- Bunk Bed A Bunk Bed is a bed set typically found with two beds, one above the other. A variant is called a loft bed which can have a desk or a bed and a desk for the lower portion.
- Hammock A Hammock is a fabric bed which uses no mattress. Typically, the two ends of the hammock bed are the gathered cords which make up the lengthwise sections of the bed and are tied to anchors such as a stand or trees.
- Poster Bed (Four Poster Bed) A Poster Bed or Four Poster Bed uses a post at each corner of the typical rectangular mattress. This can support a canopy, called a tester, from which curtains or other adornments can be draped.
- Daybed A Daybed is a bed designed to be used as a coucn by day and a bed by night. Daybeds are most commonly a twin size, but can vary slightly.
- Sofabed (Hide-A-Bed) A Sofabed, or Hide-A-Bed, is a sofa or couch designed to have the seating cushions removed so that a pull-out frame can be extracted with a folded mattress pre-assembled. This type of bed has become a little less common than it once was, but is still popular for families who entertain overnight visitors frequently.
- Pallet A Pallet is a compact and light mattress which is usually stored rolled or folded. A pallet can be assembled at home by using one or more thick blankets folded into a bed size and laid directly on the floor. Sleeping bags can also be used as a pallet.
- Iron Bed and Brass Bed An Iron Bed or a Brass Bed is usually an ornate or antique design made with the metal for which it is named. Iron Beds and Brass Beds are not extremely common, but may be found more often in Europe and Asia.
There are many other types of beds out there, but these are some of the more common beds throughout the world. If you do have a question about a type of bed frame, please feel free to contact us
and we will be glad to help you with your questions.